CURATED BY SARA PESCHEL AND MARIANNE VITALE
MAY 25 – JUNE 1, 2002
In May 2002 White Box offers itself to the dogs.
The gallery becomes an indoor dog run, a playground of art. Dogs, trainers, canine historians, psycho-veterinarians, & dog/art enthusiasts will listen to wolves howl, be lectured on separation anxiety, parade around the arts district of Chelsea and reflect upon the ideal urban canine abode.
Exhibition includes by: Manolo, Dieter Roth & Richard Hamilton, Dennis Oppenheim, Roger Welch, Jeff Koons, William T. Meyer, Johnnie Walker & Sir Elton and Tillamook Cheddar with Bowman Hastie III.
The presentation of all entries to the First Annual New York City IDEAL URBAN DOGHOUSE DESIGN COMPETITION.
• The doghouse should meet the needs of the client (urban dog) while addressing utilitarian concerns, scale and expression.
• Entries should consist of models and/or drawings as needed to illustrate the proposal (models should be no larger than 2 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet ). Please attach a written description of your submission (no longer than one page). Include contact information.
• Refrain from submitting any entries that require a monitor or special equipment for viewing.
• All entries will be displayed at White Box from 25 May through 1 June 2002 during The Run.
• The gallery space will be open to canines during this exhibition, and therefore all models should either be dogstrong or equipped with hooks to be suspended above dog height.
• Jurors include: Janet Cross, architect; Anthony Haden-Guest, author; David Lieberman, architect/professor – University of Toronto; Dennis Oppenheim, artist; Juan Puntes, director – White Box.
• Submit entries 14 May through 21 May only to: White Box 525 West 26th Street (street level) New York, NY 10001, Attention: The Run. (If delivering materials in person, drop off Tuesday through Saturday 12 noon – 5pm only.)
• With each submission, please attach a $50 entry fee (checks payable to White Box Ltd).
This fee is a tax-deductible donation that helps support our 501 (c) (3) non-profit arts organization.
• Materials will not be returned unless return postage and proper packaging is included with the submission. Submissions may be retrieved from White Box 4 – 5 June between 12 noon and 5pm only.
• WINNING DESIGN WILL BE COMMISSIONED
WHITE BOX is pleased to announce the winner of the competition: Michael Talley & Firebrand Inc.
Curated by Sara Peschel & Marianne Vitale
Project supporters include: Science Diet/Hill’s Nutrition; All About Dogs; Animal Fair Magazine; PETA; UniqueDogArt.com; Animal Planet; Dog Days; Happy Dog Toys; Otis and Claude; Friends for Life Animal Sanctuary; Earth Voices LLC; Pet’s Fine Image Studio; Dog Scouts of America; Art of This Century; Johnnie Walker & Sir Elton; Tillamook Cheddar & Bowman Hastie III; Dario Grossi; PetToy.